16 January 2006

I Love The 80's!

Good music and memories

I stumbled over a very awesome net-radio site a few nights ago, SKY.fm ... It's broadcast live over the net from New York, and has an excellent selection of channels to choose from... I've spent today listening to their Best Of The 80's channel... This is where the memories part comes in...

I realise that today it's very uncool to admit that you loved *anything* about the 80's, but I am going to commit the grievous sin of saying I loved nearly everything about the 80's... I loved my big hair, my flavoured shimmer lipgloss, my jelly shoes (and bracelets), and my Walkman full of Madonna and New Wave cassettes... I loved the hot pink streaks in my hair and my Danskin Wear and legwarmers... I loved the excess, the decadence, and the materialism...

And listening to the songs of my younger days, so many memories came rushing back... The carefree days I spent with my clique powershopping, the nights spent dancing until my feet practically dropped off... We were so "awesome" and "radical" and "uber-cool" in those days... And in that world, it seemed like we'd live forever and nothing bad would ever happen... The Cold War was ending, and in our minds a "brave new world" was dawning... Everything glittered in ways that, looking back now, seem hard to imagine...

Were we hopelessly naive...? Yes, probably... But I miss that naivete... I miss that innocent hope for all good things I had then... I miss seeing the future as a landscape of unity and wonder... Today's future seems so grim compared to the idealism of the 80's... And I miss all the outrageousness of that decade... Nothing was ever too much, and you could build whatever extreme image you wanted... There was a freedom in the excess that everyone so condemns now... You could be whoever you wanted, whatever you were inside, no apologies... And if you were *really* unique, *you'd* start a trend...

So I'm nostalgic today... And as I sit here listening to Huey Lewis and The News sing about "The Power Of Love", I feel like crimping and teasing my hair, using half a can of Aqua Net hairspray, and finding my off the shoulder tops, my black lace pouf skirt, my stirrup leggings and legwarmers, and maybe even a pair of jelly shoes and having an impromptu 80's Retro Party downstairs...

This tag is a result of that nostalgia - it's loud, outrageous, and over the top - just like the 80's were... *smiles* This one is Snag Only... (But I promise to have Taggables up in a few days!)

4 comments:

Ari said...

OH man! I had jellies in every color! I loved those things. Except they hurt my feet. I don't know what kind of plastic they made that from, but the edges were like razors man. Still, I miss those things.

Ari

Anonymous said...

i really need you toniiight.. forever's gonna start toniiight.. forever's gonna start toniiiiight.. i love the 80s..

TJ said...

Loved the sportscoats of Miami Vice,hated that rap evolved and disco died. The 80's was a fun time, alot of alternatives broke loose. Interesting tags. I really like them.

Angelia Rian said...

Ari - I *still* have jellies, but these days, to get a new pair I have to shop in Brasil... And the plastic *is* a bit sharp - but hey, if we're going to mangle our feet in high heels, might as well throw jellies in the mix, no...? ;)

Guile - I love that song... :)

TJ - I'm not too keen on rap myself... And I *loved* the Miami Vice look on guys...! *big smile* I'm glad you liked the tag... :)